Saturday, December 15, 2012

Where I'm from...


Where I’m from…

I’m from Today’s Woman, The T Connection, Mr. J’s The Fade Master, Alma’s Beauty College

and white uniforms under black coats, blended cuts, tripe fades, acrylic overlays with airbrushed tips

asymmetrical bobs, braided weaves, last minute Mr. Fofo’s corned beef sandwiches on rye, no snow days ever, and loud traffic.

I’m from WHAT UP DOE? HOW U DOIN?, shampoo bowls filling with wet hair under running water, hair dryers blowing, marcels clinking together rhythmically like Gregory Hines tapping his toes

and colorful capes, gold bling, brightly painted walls covered in pictures of colored girls with hair that can’t be duplicated.

From being at the “Shop” as early as 6:00 am Saturday morning, $1.99 two egg breakfast specials with bacon, hash browns, biscuits or toast delivered in bulk with a smile

and the odor of lye, hair dye, pineapple/coconut/strawberry protein conditioner heating under plastic.

I’m from strategically placed bushes to accent the entryway

“Don’t Stop til You Get Enough” and “When Doves Cry.”

From my Granma’s and Daddy’s “Like I Said” and “Listen.”

From Pan-fried potatoes and onions smothered in cheese, Cornish hens, cabbage with potatoes

and brown slushy dirty wet snow splattered across the windshield, driveway, sidewalk, and walkway slipping into my boots.

I’m from a house full of three; just him, her and me.

From peaceful moments just me and her, intermixed with shouts and screams between her and him

and I’m quiet books, quiet songs, “girl put your records on and play your favorite song,” restless traveling near and far

flat-ironed straight yesterday, curly twists today, let’s do an afro next week, natural nails do just fine on me.

Because I’m… just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment